Does Islam tolerate other religions?
The Holy Qur-an commands to respect all other religions and to allow others to continue with their beliefs:
1. Say (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him) to these Mushrikun and Kafirun): "O Al- Kafirun (disbelievers in Allah, in His Oneness, in His angels, in His Books, in His Messengers, in the Day of Resurrection, and in Al-Qadr, etc.)!
2. "I Worship not that which you worship,
3. "Nor will you worship that which I worship.
4. "And I shall not worship that which you are worshipping.
5. "Nor will you worship that which I worship.
6. "To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Islamic Monotheism)."
[Surah (Chapter) Al-Kafirun (The Disbelievers) Qur-an 109:1-6]
Muslim rulers, whose word of mouth used to be the law, ruled India for almost one thousand years; yet Muslims constitute about 12% of its population. This fact proves that Islam not only tolerates other religions, but also respects them, and allows them to flourish, even when things were under their absolute control.